Where To Stay in Minneapolis [5 BEST Neighborhoods!]
Where To Stay in Minneapolis [5 BEST Neighborhoods!]
Minneapolis is the bustling centre of the Mid-West, with a huge range of activities to try out and exploring to do! Together with its twin city, St Paul, it’s one of the largest metropolitan areas in the US, making it one of the trendiest and most exciting options for an urban break. But if you’re not into that, don’t worry – Minneapolis lies on the banks of two rivers, contains 13 lakes, and a whole range of creeks and waterfalls if you want to get into the great outdoors!
Being well-known for its vibrant arts and music scene, there’ll be loads for you to do both day and night. And with a food and drink culture as eclectic as the one here, you certainly won’t go hungry!
With so much on offer, deciding where to stay for the best value can be hard, but don’t worry, that’s where we come in!
So, let’s jump straight into what Minneapolis has to offer, and find you your perfect stay.
Millennium Minneapolis is the best budget hotel in Minneapolis
This hotel is right in the heart of the city, with a great range of facilities on offer, including a sauna and indoor pool. Each room has a flat-screen TV and coffee machine, and you’ll be just a five-minute walk away from attractions like the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden in this Downtown location!
NE Minneapolis near Downtown is the best Airbnb in Minneapolis
This is a delightfully homey guest suite, with super hosts to take care of you. Its old-fashioned furnishings and décor make it a really cosy option, but in reality, it is just a short walk from the river and all the attractions to be found there. With two bedrooms, a kitchen, dining room, and sunroom, there’ll be plenty of room for you and your party.
Minnestay is the best high-end Airbnb in Minneapolis
This is a trendy and newly furnished apartment with a private balcony where you can enjoy fantastic views of Downtown Minneapolis. There are two bedrooms, each with a TV, and a bright kitchen-diner to enjoy a home-cooked meal in. You’ll also have access to the rooftop terrace, which has a BBQ.
Minneapolis has so much to offer to travellers of all types. Whether you’re into music, arts, walking or eating there’s something here for everyone, no matter your party size, budget or interests.
If you’ve never been to Minneapolis, it’s a huge place to try to take on by yourself. So, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. The best neighbourhood for your first time is Downtown West. Centrally located on the banks of the Mississippi, this is a hub of retro bars, open parks, and is, of course, home to the Minneapolis baseball team!
Travelling can be an expensive business, and this is particularly true of big cities like Minneapolis, but Nokomis is our recommendation for where to stay in Minneapolis on a budget. With the expanse of Lake Nokomis on your doorstep, this is perfect if you enjoy water sports or hiking, but you can easily get to the city centre if you want to!
Up for a late-night boogie or bite to eat? The best place to stay in Minneapolis for nightlife is Cedar Riverside. Much like Downtown West, it’s on the west bank of the river, with loads of cool artisan breweries and retro music venues to explore.
If you want to save on travel fares and be able to walk to everything, the best neighbourhood in Minneapolis to be close to everything is Marcy-Holmes. On the eastern bank of the river, there’s access to some amazing parks and cafes, but also several bridges crossing the river to other neighbourhoods. This makes it the most accessible place to stay in Minneapolis.
Coming with the kids? Don’t panic, all the stress is taken care of, because the best place for you to stay in Minneapolis is Linden Hills. A little out of the city centre, Linden Hills is a beautiful leafy suburb with access to many of Minneapolis’ famous lakes and waterways – perfect for getting the family to the great outdoors!
Minneapolis’ Best 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In:
Neighborhood#1 - Downtown West
(Best neighbourhood in Minneapolis for the first time)
Downtown West is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Minneapolis for the first time
Get to know the real Minneapolis: the artisan breweries, the home team, the gorgeous riverside parks and art exhibitions. There are also loads of theatres and events halls where you can watch some live music or enjoy some comedy.
Grab a souvenir from the cute pedestrianised streets with little knickknack shops dotted around, as well as cute cafes and restaurants.
• Coolest thing to do in Downtown West – Head over to the Minneapolis Bouldering Project and test your endurance on the climbing walls.
• Best place to visit in Downtown West – Try some of the local brewing talents at any of the multitudes of breweries in this part of town, whether it’s the Fulton Brewing Taproom, Modist Brewing Co or The Freehouse.
More Awesome Things to do in Downtown West!
• Catch some top-quality baseball by watching the Minnesota Twins at Target Field
• Acme Comedy Club is a great place to catch some laughs
• Cross the river to Boom Island Park, where you’ll find some lovely parkland and gardens
• Take in some modern art at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
Hewing Hotel is the best mid-range hotel in Downtown West
Just over ten minutes away from Downtown attractions like Target Field is this authentic, retro hotel complete with wooden beams and western-style décor in the bar and lounge. There’s a rooftop pool, brilliant onsite dining, and free Wi-Fi.
AC Hotel is the best luxury hotel in Downtown West
Just yards away from Target Field is this stunning hotel that boasts fantastic views across the city and luxurious onsite dining at its restaurant. Each room is air-conditioned and has a flat-screen TV with streaming services. It’s a great place to relax after a day of exploring the city.
Entire Townhouse is the best Airbnb in Downtown West
This is a cute and quirky space, perfect for couples wanting a cosy getaway in a quieter part of town. If you’re looking for the freedom of having your own space, this is the choice for you. A delightful terrace is adorned with flowers, and a fully-equipped kitchen will allow you to cook up a storm!
Nokomis is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Minneapolis on a budget
If you want to immerse yourself in nature and enjoy the beauty of the lakes surrounding Minneapolis, Nokomis is the best place for you to stay. Not only will you have access to the bustling centre thanks to all the excellent road links, but you can spend virtually no money while you’re here.
Hiking, cycling, and kayaking are all on your doorstep, but if the weather isn’t great, there are plenty of museums to explore or forests for you to shelter under!
• Coolest thing to do in Nokomis: Take a mountain bike and go along the trails at Minnehaha Creek Park. You can also walk or enjoy the 53-foot waterfall!
• Best place to visit in Nokomis: Lake Nokomis Main Beach is a gorgeous sunbathing and swimming area, with a brilliant restaurant too!
More Awesome Things to do in Nokomis:
• Have a play around at the Lake Nokomis Park Softball fields
• Hike around or simply sit beside the calming waters of Minnehaha Creek
• Head east to the Hidden Falls Regional Park, where you’ll find a boat launch, secret trails, and lovely places to have a picnic
• Learn about the history of your surroundings at the Minnehaha Depot or John H Stevens House Museum
• See this beautiful lake from the water with Wheel Fun Rentals, where you can hire kayaks and canoes
Home away from Home is the best budget AirBnb in Nokomis
This lovely private room is just a mile away from the lakes. You’ll have full access to the cosy house hosted by Pat, who loves to have visitors from all over the world! There is fibre optic internet and a bus route running through the neighbourhood, so getting around will be super easy.
Entire Guest Suite is the best mid-range Airbnb in Nokomis
Enjoy having the whole ground floor of a house to yourself in this stylishly-decorated space suitable for four guests. There’s a large open plan kitchen/diner making it a really social space, as well as a table tennis table if you’re feeling competitive!
Cosy bungalow is the best High-End Airbnb in Nokomis
As you can guess from the name of this Airbnb, there’s plenty on offer here! This delightful bungalow sleeps five people in plenty of space, with bright, modern décor, while retaining its 20th-century charm! Just ten minutes from the centre of Minneapolis, you can access urban area while using the bikes available to explore nearby lakes and trails.
Cedar Riverside is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Minneapolis For nightlife
Cedar Riverside is a trendy, vibrant neighbourhood packed full of brilliant breweries, excellent cuisine from around the world (but especially Africa), and some great live music venues.
Not to mention, of course, the famous Guthrie Theatre and riverside parks, where you can catch brilliant views across the Mississippi to the eastern side of the city!
• Coolest thing to do in Cedar Riverside – Jump aboard a Bitter Minnesota Brewery Tour; you’ll be taken around the city’s best up and coming breweries by local guides.
• Best place to visit in Cedar Riverside – The Guthrie Theatre is one of the most iconic buildings in the city, putting on a range of plays on three stages, as well as offering riverside dining.
Other Awesome Things to do in Cedar Riverside:
• Test your bowling skills at Memory Lane, a cool, retro bowling alley
• Head to some of the old-school bars found in this area, where you’ll also discover some great homemade live music. Our favourites are Palmer’s Bar, The Red Sea Ethiopian Restaurant, and Republic
• Nurse your hangover with a relaxing stroll along the Mississippi in Riverside Park and Annie Young Meadow
• Cross the river, and just on the other side is the Frederick R Weisman Art Museum, displaying some of America’s best contemporary masterpieces
Where to Stay in Cedar Riverside
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Cedar Riverside – Courtyard
Courtyard is the best mid-range hotel in Cedar Riverside
This is a hotel from the trusted brand Marriott, so you know you’re going to get good value for money. Right on the shores of the Mississippi, you’ll have excellent access to the city centre. A heated indoor pool and onsite restaurant are available too!
Sonder Luna Apartments is the best luxury hotel in Cedar Riverside
Just three miles away from Target Field and other city centre attractions is this brand-new development where you can enjoy the privacy of your own space in an apartment! There’s a fully equipped kitchen in each apartment, but if you want to eat out, you’re just a short walk from Cedar Riverside’s brilliant culinary scene!
The River Parkway Loft is the best Airbnb in Cedar Riverside
If you’re looking for something trendy and quirky, this is the space for you. With a completely open floorplan and vaulted ceilings, this is the perfect place to have your friends over for a drink before taking on the nightlife!
(Best neighbourhood in Minneapolis close to everything)
Marcy-Holmes is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Minneapolis close to everything
On the eastern side of the Mississippi River, this neighbourhood is perfect for easy access around the city. With several bridge crossings over the river, you can get onto the west side easily, but there’s plenty in Marcy-Holmes itself to sink your teeth into – quite literally if you decide to enjoy a Minneapolis food tour!
Here, you’ll see the historical side of the city, with museums galore and hidden walkways and parks to lose yourself in.
• Coolest thing to do in Marcy-Holmes – Explore the culinary vibrancy of Minneapolis with a Riverwalk Food Tour. You’ll see some of the most historical landmarks in the city, as well as fill your belly with some delicious local delicacies!
• Best place to visit in Marcy-Holmes – The Mill City Museum will tell the story of the fortunes of Minnesota in the flour industry, all with the evocative backdrop of the rebuilt ruins of an old mill.
Other Awesome Things to do in Marcy-Holmes:
• Stroll along the Stone Arch Bridge, where you’ll get panoramic views of the city and St Anthony Falls
Nicollet Island Inn is the best hotel in Marcy-Holmes
Step back in time in this beautifully refurbished 18th-century inn on the island in the middle of the Mississippi. You’ll have great access to both sides of the river and a lovely meal overlooking it on the dining patio.
Graduate Minneapolis is the best luxury hotel in Marcy-Holmes
This luxury hotel is located in the heart of the University of Minnesota, and you’ll have access to some of the university’s recreation facilities. Each room has a 42-inch TV and luxury linens – you won’t even want to get out of bed! Elegant and stylish, you’ll be the envy of your friends!
Updated 1BR apartment by the Mississippi River is the best Airbnb in Marcy-Holmes
This is a contemporary space with a lovely, airy feel. With a well-equipped kitchen, you can enjoy a home-cooked meal while looking out from your private balcony. Although the hosts don’t allow gatherings or parties, you’ll be just a short walk from Marcy-Holmes’ cafes and restaurants.
Linden Hills is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Minneapolis for families
Taking the kids on holiday can be a stressful thing to organise, which is why we’ve done all the hard work for you! Linden Hills is the perfect neighbourhood to make sure you get a feel for the exciting city of Minneapolis, but it also gives you a chance to get in touch with nature.
There are so many lakes out on this side of the city; it’s a safe and fun environment where the whole family can relax on the beaches or try out some new water sports. Parks, gardens, bike trails, and kayaking – you’ll be busy every day here!
• Coolest thing to do in Linden Hills – Take the kids birdwatching at Thomas Sadler Roberts Bird Sanctuary, a 33-acre wetland area.
• Best place to visit in Linden Hills – Lake Harriet is a beautiful expanse of water with beaches, surrounding trails, and the opportunity to hire kayaks and canoes!
Other Awesome Things to do in Linden Hills:
• Head a little further into town, where you’ll find the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Not only is this an amazing building in itself, but it contains some excellent artwork, from contemporary local artists to an Egyptian mummy!
Sonder Lake Suites is the best luxury hotel in Linden Hills
When travelling with the family, it’s important you have the flexibility of your own space to enjoy some quality time together. That’s why this hotel is perfect: it offers a range of spacious and bright apartments for you to enjoy, with great facilities like a BBQ and free Wi-Fi.
Cedar Lake Beach – Retro Vintage Apartment is the best Airbnb in Linden Hills
As the name suggests, this apartment is right on the banks of Cedar Lake, so you can crawl out of bed straight into a day of water sports fun! The interior of this property is quirky and stylishly decorated, so you can enjoy quality time in a cool and fun environment!
Fabulous Uptown 7BR is the best luxury Airbnb in Linden Hills
If you’re planning a family getaway, look no further than this magnificent, large townhouse just steps away from the beautiful Lake Bde Mka Ska! Sleeping 15 in 7 bedrooms, there’s plenty of room for the extended family. If you want to get into the city centre, there’s a bike rental place just down the road – your options are endless!
Final Thoughts on the Best Places to Stay in Minneapolis
Minneapolis is one of those rare cities where you can enjoy an urban break with bright lights, fantastic restaurants, and bustling live music venues. Just a short drive away, you can find beautiful places like Lake Harriet and Minnehaha Creek. Whether you’re bringing the family, want a romantic break for two, or something cheap and cheerful, there’s something in Minneapolis for everyone!
*** Some of the links on Hotel Jules are affiliate links, which means if you do make a purchase, we may make a small commission (at no extra cost to you.) Thank you for using our links! Your support keeps the site going***
Gin lover. Coffee addict. Nicola has traveled the world for 7 years and is a staff writer for Hotel Jules. Born in London, Nicola first got the taste of travel studying abroad in Barcelona. Since then she's been hooked - traveling the world non-stop. Passionate about green travel and vegan lifestyle, Nicola spends more of her free time staring at maps wondering where she will head to next!