Where To Stay in Charlotte [5 BEST Neighborhoods!]
Last Updated on
Charlotte is the most populous city in the state of North Carolina, and you can see why. As the financial centre, the city is bustling with skyscrapers and buzzing streets filled with cafes and restaurants. This vibrancy is carried over into the arts and music scene – the city is packed with museums and theatres for you take in the best of local talent while learning about the history of North Carolina and beyond!
If you’re looking for somewhere to relax, there are plenty of green spaces and parks for some fresh air away from the busy centre.
With so much on offer, deciding where to stay for the best value can be challenging – but don’t worry, that’s where we come in!
Let’s jump straight into what Charlotte has to offer, and find you your perfect stay.
Your own condo in uptown Charlotte is the best high-end Airbnb in Charlotte
Located in the historic fourth ward is this condo, which is by no means old-fashioned! It’s contemporary and understated, with fantastic views across the city through French windows and access to a shared pool!
This luxury boutique hotel can be found in the trendy downtown area of Charlotte, and the facilities speak for themselves. There’s a huge fitness centre, lovely library lounge where you can enjoy a coffee, and free Wi-Fi.
As the most populous city in North Carolina, you can be sure that Charlotte has something to offer you no matter your budget or tastes. Whether you’re into eating out, exploring the countryside, or learning all about local culture, we’ve got you covered in our guide.
When coming to Charlotte for the first time, you want to be right at the centre and have plenty of different activities on your doorstep. First Ward is the best place to stay in Charlotte for your first time for all these reasons. There are amazing city tours on offer and museums to learn about your surroundings.
Although it’s the USA’s second financial centre, you don’t have to break the bank when visiting Charlotte. If you’re travelling on a budget, the best place to stay is Clanton Park. A little out of the city centre, you’ll be surrounded by gorgeous parks and the odd brewery for you to have a cheeky brew!
If you’re coming to Charlotte to indulge in a little partying, the trendy Second Ward is the place for you. Known for its lively bars and cosy restaurants, you can enjoy a night strolling around its bustling streets.
Although Charlotte’s transport networks are very sophisticated, if you want to be close to everything, the Fourth Ward is an excellent option. As one of the oldest parts of the city, it’s a great place to ensure you have access to all four corners of the city. In the area itself, though, there’s a great range of music venues and green spaces to relax in.
Coming away with the kids? No worries! We’ve found the best place in Charlotte for you to stay -Dilworth. This leafy suburb in the southern part of the city offers you access to the centre while being able to enjoy a relaxed vibe in your hotel or Airbnb. With plenty of parks and trails for the kids to explore and some great museums for the adults, you’ll please everyone here!
Charlotte’s Best 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In:
Neighborhood#1 - First Ward
(Best neighbourhood in Charlotte for the first time)
First Ward is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Charlotte for the first time
If you’re visiting for your first time, go to First Ward! Right at the centre of the city, First Ward is easily accessible on public transport, with excellent accommodation options. In trendy uptown, you’ll be bombarded with bustling shopping streets and fascinating museums.
• Coolest thing to do in First Ward – Jump aboard the funny bus for a Comedy Bus Tour of the city!
• Best place to visit in First Ward – Learn all about the southern states and the civil war at the Levine Museum of the New South
More awesome things to do in First Ward:
• If you’re feeling green-fingered, take a look at the 200+ types of roses at the McGill Rose Garden
• See if you can catch a play, opera or musical performance at the Blumenthal Performing Arts centre. It’s a spectacular venue, definitely worth a visit!
• Catch a basketball game at the Spectrum Centre
• Pick up a souvenir or some great local food at the 7th Street Public Market
The Trifecta Townhouse is the best Airbnb in First Ward
Enjoy incredible views of Charlotte’s skyline in this delightful townhouse. With a ‘modern energy’ style, this is a contemporary and fresh space with plenty of natural light. Part of a trendy new development, this is one of the coolest places to stay in First Ward!
This is a simple yet charming hotel by the trusted brand Marriott. Every room comes with a flat-screen TV, access to the fitness centre, and free Wi-Fi. You’ll be just a short walk from Uptown Charlotte’s best attractions!
Clanton Park is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Charlotte on a budget
Clanton Park offers you an opportunity to be close to the bustling centre of Charlotte, but without the noise of the streets or cars. Just south of the city, Clanton Park is a leafy green neighbourhood with gorgeous parks and museums to explore – perfect options if money is a little tight.
• Coolest thing to do in Clanton Park: Hire a bike and head through some of Renaissance Park’s winding and beautiful trails
• Best place to visit in Clanton Park: Head to the Billy Graham Library, where you can learn all about the famous religious leader and take a look around his home
More awesome things to do in Clanton Park:
• Sample some local beers at the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, where there’s a spacious beer garden
• Clanton Park offers a great space for a picnic, but there are also basketball courts if you fancy a quick game!
• Tee off at the Harry L Jones Sr golf course, where you’ll find spectacular views to enjoy if your game isn’t going too well!
Super Stylish and Comfy Bungalow is the best high-end Airbnb in Clanton Park
This house has been completely renovated very recently, making it a great contemporary space which you’ll have all to yourself. Just a five-minute walk from the Bank of America stadium, this place sleeps eight, so bring your friends!
Hilton Garden Inn is the best luxury hotel in Clanton Park
Just a stone’s throw from the airport, this hotel will be really easy to get to if you’re travelling from far away. Every room has a 42-inch flat-screen TV, cable access, and even in-room movie rentals! A delicious American Buffet breakfast will fill you up before a day of exploring.
Second Ward is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Charlotte for nightlife
Second Ward is a trendy, lively neighbourhood offering a range of brilliant restaurants, exciting bars, and music venues. If you have the energy to do some exploring after your big night, there’s some lovely parks, fascinating museums, and relaxing art galleries to stroll around as you recover!
• Coolest thing to do in Second Ward – Spend an evening at the Epicentre open-air plaza, where you’ll find a range of eateries, lively bars, and ritzy clubs!
• Best place to visit in Second Ward – Cure the hangover and take a relaxing stroll through Marshall Park with its duck pond and fountain.
Other awesome things to do in Second Ward:
• Take a stroll around the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art for a look at the best contemporary art in the city.
• If you’re a bit of a petrol head, the best place to visit in Charlotte is the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Take a look at legendary cars, have a go in a simulator, and learn all you can about this fast-paced sport.
• Mint Museum Uptown offers some quirky and interesting art pieces, as well as live performances.
• Have a look around The Green, a literary-themed park with characters and sculptures from famous literature dotted around!
Uptown Access Flat is the best Airbnb in Second Ward
This quirky flat is part of a brilliantly serviced complex, with access to an outdoor pool and free parking. It’s just down the road from a Light Rail station. With one bedroom, the owner says it’s a very chilled out flat – perfect if you want somewhere to relax after a night on the town!
Heaven on Charlotte is the best high-end Airbnb in Second Ward
This apartment is part of one of the newest developments in the city. There are fantastic views across uptown Charlotte from the private balcony, where you can enjoy a morning coffee or a pre-night out drink! Bright, contemporary and two bedrooms, this is a great place to stay with friends.
Sheraton Charlotte Hotel is the best mid-range hotel in Second Ward
Just five minutes from the Charlotte Convention Centre is this delightful hotel. Complete with an onsite outdoor pool, restaurant, and fitness centre, this hotel is the best place to stay in the Second Ward if you want a relaxed, value-for-money break.
(Best neighbourhood in Charlotte close to everything)
Fourth Ward is the best neighbourhood in Charlotte close to everything
Not only is Fourth Ward easy accessible and close to many of the other neighbourhoods we’ve recommended, but it is also the hub of live entertainment. With a huge venue complex, a science discovery museum, and some lovely green spaces, there’s loads for you to explore here, whatever the weather. If you’re hoping to catch a band or laugh with a. stand-up routine, then Fourth Ward is the best place in Charlotte for you to stay.
• Coolest thing to do in Fourth Ward – Catch a gig, a comedy show or a play at AvidXchange Music Factory complex.
• Best place to visit in Fourth Ward – Head to Discovery Place Science, a great interactive science museum and IMAX Cinema!
Other awesome things to do in Fourth Ward:
• Take a stroll through the historic Fourth Ward Park.
• Become a kid again by visiting Ray’s Splash Planet waterpark.
• Queen City Rides offers a range of tours, whether it’s a food tour, historical tour or brewery tour- just wave for a ride!
Queen City Charmer is the best Airbnb in Fourth Ward
If you’re a loft lover, this is the perfect apartment for you. In a lovely period building, you’ll have incredible views of the north side of the city from a cosy lounge/diner space. Perfect for a couple, but can accommodate up to four!
Kasa Charlotte North Apartments is the best budget hotel in Fourth Ward
Just 1.2 miles from the Blumenthal Performing Arts Centre and other attractions is this charming aparthotel. You’ll find great value for money here, with the opportunity to have your own apartment space, as well as access to an outdoor pool, fitness centre, and lounge.
Grand Bohemian Hotel Charlotte is the best luxury hotel in Fourth Ward
Elegant décor, a warm welcome, and top-class service – this hotel is a great option if you want a little more luxury during your stay in Charlotte. The Mint Museum of Craft and Design is close by, and the airport is easily accessible.
Dilworth is our pick for the best neighbourhood in Charlotte for families
Organising a family holiday can be hard when there are so many different things to consider. That’s why we’ve taken the strain away, with our comprehensive list of awesome things to do in Dilworth and where to stay!
Dilworth is a little out of the main city in a quiet and leafy suburb, making it the perfect place to take little ones!
• Coolest thing to do in Dilworth – Take the kids on a walk or bike ride along Little Sugar Creek Greenway. It’s 19 miles of paved trails, so it’ll be easy for even the youngest riders!
• Best place to visit in Dilworth: The Art Room is a family-friendly Art School, a great chance to get creative!
Other awesome things to do in Dilworth:
• Discovery Place Nature is an excellent child-orientated museum with trails, exhibitions and even some live furry friends for them to meet.
• Freedom Park is a great lakeside picnic spot to enjoy some open space.
Cute Dilworth Bungalow is the best Airbnb in Dilworth
Once again, the clue is in the name. This is a cosy, homely bungalow perfect for a small family. Modest yet charming, there’s a fenced backyard for the little ones to run around in and a deck off the kitchen to enjoy a family meal outside.
Updated 8BR House, close to city centre is the best luxury Airbnb in Dilworth
If you’re planning on a large family trip, this is the best place to stay in Dilworth! Sleeping up to 16 guests, this house is surrounded by plenty of land for the kids to play in. The spacious kitchen and dining area make it perfect for large family meals together! Although it’s large, it’s not too far away from Uptown attractions.
As you can probably guess from the name, this Bed & Breakfast is in an impressive building less than a ten-minute drive from the city centre. Crystal chandeliers, incredible grounds, and fine dining are all on offer here – so why not treat you and your family to a little luxury?
Final Thoughts on the Best Places to Stay in Charlotte
Charlotte may be a bustling metropolis, but there’s more to it than skyscrapers and big buildings (although they are pretty cool!). There are fabulous green spaces, trendy nooks and crannies filled with restaurants and bars, and fascinating museums to get lost in. Whether you want to spend a little on luxury or tighten the wallet with a budget break, there are loads of options here to choose from. Whether you’re a solo traveller, a loved-up couple, or large family, we hope we’ve found activities and accommodation to suit all your needs!
*** Some of the links on Hotel Jules are affiliate links, which means if you do make a purchase, we may make a small commission (at no extra cost to you.) Thank you for using our links! Your support keeps the site going***
Born in Los Angeles, Aaron Hovanesian is one of the original staff writers for Hotel Jules. Having backpacked the world as a young man, Aaron now prefers to travel the world in luxury, proudly staying in the world's most amazing hotels and properties.When Aaron is not traveling he lives in Western Colorado he can be found brewing his own beer (probably an IPA) or spending time with his two amazing golden retrievers.